Subject: Re: Global Strings (fwd)
From: Tjark Kalow <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 15:40:57 +0200

Hello sfmcnally,

   On Sat, September 04, 1993 you wrote about the subject 

   'Re: Global Strings (fwd)':

> Geeze!   Why are Gosubs and Gotos so disgusting to everyone but me?!?  [O,o]

Because they are a relict of those ancient days, when BASIC was a
language designed for learning how to program. "Serious" languages
have no GOSUBs and GOTOs (okay, Pascal has GOTO, but you're advised
to use it only for error handling). Informatik (Computer Science)
teaches not to use GOTOs and GOSUBs in any way, because they make
debugging and understanding of long progs harder. As I mentioned
before, this doesn't count for games! In fact, every BASIC dialect
has GOTOs and GOSUBs, but they are only included to keep up
compatibility. Modern languages based on original BASIC are
highly developed. They took over elements of other high-level
languages like PASCAL or FORTRAN, e.g. no line numbers, labels,
procedures, functions (AMOS not really) and many more. If you
don't want to keep an eye on readability (does this word exist?)
of your progs, do so... but don't you wonder when other people
who study Computer Science (like me) list up the disadvantages
of such a 'programming style'. The whole bunch of computer
scientists has another opinion, based on the constant development
towards structured high-level languages.

Greetings,
Tjark

--
This is a typical case, whom we shall refer to as Mr. A, although
his real name is this:
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
  Name:       Tjark Kalow        E-Mail:  [email-masked]
  Address:    Thorenknick 6
              33100 Paderborn
  Country:    Germany
  Tel.:       0 52 52 / 39 12 (phone answering system)
  Computer:   AMIGA 500 KS1.2 1MB w. 2 drives
  Occupation: Student
+----------------------------------------------------------------+